Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Unfair Punishments, Creepy Advances, and Sixth Grade Selfies

Two angels are walkin' along, doing their jobs for the Lord.  You know, it's just the completely normally job of DESTROYING A CITY AND ALL OF ITS INHABITANTS.  No biggie.  Anyway, the angels arrive at Sodom, looking for anyone who might be righteous within the city, just in case there are any decent souls left.  They then meet Lot, a man who invites them into his home and gives them food and--hey!  He's nice!  Woo!  As the angels are chilling with Lot and his family, the rest of the men in the town surround Lot's house.  Lot goes outside to see what the men want, only to find that they're yelling for the angels to come out of the house so all of the men can have sex with them. YAY WOW GREAT FANTASTIC THAT'S JUST AMAZING but anyway.  Lot basically tells the men off--offering his daughters up to the crowd instead EWW--and the angels do a favor for Lot, in return.  Since they're going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrh, they tell Lot to take his family and leave, and to never look back.  So, Lot does that and gets out before the angels drench the city in flaming sulfur.  Pleasant angels, these guys.  Unfortunately for Lot's wife, she looks back at the city and gets turned into a pillar of salt.  Also, Lot's daughters sire his next two children to keep the family line upheld!  I mean, all of these people are super great and have their values set straight, am I right?

I'm one of the more fortunate people on this planet in that I don't really get punished too often.  In fact, I don't think I've ever been grounded before.  My parents are really nice on that front, which is super convenient in some respects.  However, I think I make up for their lack of punishment by punishing myself.  I get a little crazy when it comes to grades, and I can be really harsh on myself if something bad happens to my schoolwork.  I have this nasty habit of comparing myself to others, and it usually comes back to bite me in the end.
The worst, and most "unfair" punishment I've ever received is probably when I moved to Kentucky (wait wait wait, don't hate on me yet!  The story isn't finished!).  It was Pi Day of sixth grade at 5:29 pm when my parents told me.  I cried a ton, and ran to my best friend's house to tell her the horrible news.  I didn't know what I had done to deserve it; why had I been picked out of anyone to move to Kentucky?  Why was the world so cruel as to land me in a no-shoes, marry-your-cousin, speak-in-a-horrible-accent state, and not keep me in my beloved Georgia?  I didn't know at the time.  I didn't even know until a year and a half had passed from the moment my parents told me.  But, I figured it out eventually.  Looking back now, it's almost laughable--in a horribly sardonic sort of way, anyway.  If I still lived in Georgia, I'd be a completely different person.  I'd hang with different types of people, and I'd be into different things.  I wouldn't have my lovely puppy, Georgia.  I won't go on and on anymore, but to sum things up, the "unfair" punishment wasn't even as bad as I had originally thought.  I guess life is sort of funny like that.

So, being a dramatic sixth grader, I took some pictures--more like over 150 pictures--of my old house just before we moved.  Wanna see?

 And let the sad, dramatic pictures begin.
 The classic mirror selfie.

 Wet hair sad face.
 Oooo, and here we have an artsy shadow, waving goodbye (how original, Anna!).

 *sigh* Look how pretty my house was.
And finally, we have the "Kill me now / I hate life" picture (and if you looked at some 7th grade pictures, you can see how this is the transition between puppy dog face and full-on emo-ness).

No comments:

Post a Comment