Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Tale of a Creep

Basically, this story is completely ewwwww and ugh just creepy in general.  We start off meeting Apollo, who's egging on Eros/Cupid because Eros's arrows are stupid.  Apparently.  Well, as anyone would have done, Eros is all, "I'ma take revenge on this dumb god for calling my arrows wimpy.  After I use one on him, he won't be thinking that anymore!  MUAHAHAHAHHAHA!"  Yeah.  Revenge on the gods?  Always a fantastic idea.  Anyway, Eros shoots Apollo with an arrow that causes him to fall crazily in love with a nymph named Daphne.  Now, Daphne's this super amazing girl who's completely against the idea of marriage as it is (she even got her dad to consent to her celibacy! You go, girl!).  But to make her even more disgusted by men (and Apollo), Eros shoots this arrow at her that makes her absolutely abhor Apollo specifically.  And so, the chase begins.  Apollo essentially chases Daphne until she's completely scared out of her mind that he's going to catch her, and she's so worn out and exhausted that she gives up on running.  She prays to her dad, a river god, to turn her into something--anything--that would keep Apollo from getting to her.  Well, Apollo catches up to Daphne only to find a laurel tree standing in front of him.  Once he realizes that the tree is Daphne, he sort of creepily caresses it and stuff, before crowning his head with a wreath of her leaves and declaring that, in the name of his "love," these leaves would be forever green and young.  Yaaaaaay for creepy Apollo (NOT).

Wow, eternal youth?  I mean... I don't know.  I have sort of mixed feelings about this.  First off, I'd like to say that I would definitely not want to live forever.  Period.  End of discussion.  Being around for the apocalypse and whatever else is coming (black hole?) is really not ideal.  But!  Being young while I'm living, you know, looking 22-25 when I'm really 75?  That might not be so bad.  No horrible aging tales or no depression about how fat or ugly I've gotten... That would be nice.  The only problem is that I'd eventually want to have kids, and looking the same age as them (eventually) would just be creepy.  I don't think I'd like that.  Meh, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the concept of staying young forever would be nice, but in reality it just wouldn't work out.  That's not how the world works, and there must be some sort of reasoning behind that.
(P.S.--Did anyone else think about the concept of being "forever young" in a different way?  I was just wondering if anyone thought of it as dying young, and sort of being immortalized in your youth, if that makes any sense.  If I were to die young, that's how people would remember me because that's what I would be if I died.  Sorry if that makes no sense, but it's just a thought!  On that front, I totally wouldn't want to be forever young.  I'd rather live into an older age and experience life to its fullest extent, on which I'm sure most of you would agree with me.)
(P.S.S.--Did any of my fellow Whovians think about the Doctor?  He embodies exactly what it means to be forever young, since he's over 1000 years old, but he looks much younger than his age.  The Doctor proves that it's really not healthy to live forever young, since his mental state is questionable.  I mean, sure, he's spunky and adorable and overall amazing most of the time, but yeesh when he has mental breakdowns, they're pretty rough.  I just couldn't imagine living so long and seeing so many of my friends pass on.  It would be pretty unbearable.)








Again, all art by burdgebug!  (The sources of the real pictures of the Doctor being super duper depressed are: picture 1, picture 2, and  picture 3.)

No comments:

Post a Comment