Tuesday, October 15, 2013

LEARN *ALL* THE LANGUAGES

The world starts out having one language; unfortunately, we all know how this turns out.  Anyway, all the men decide that they want to build a freaking amazing city in the east.  Ingredients for said awesome city:  brick (not stone; apparently that was so 2300 BC), tar, and a tower that reaches the heavens.  Sounds easy enough to do if you ask me! *sarcastically snorts*  Weellllll, the Lord overhears that the men were building this gorgeously fantastic city with a reeeally tall tower, and he says, "Welp, these humans can clearly do anything as long as they all speak one language!--" (HAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT WE CAN'T EVEN KEEP THE GOVERNMENT RUNNING) "--Since they actually seem to have some order and cooperation, and they'll actually reach the heavens, I gotta stop this!  No peace for the humans!  This ain't right!  So, humans, I'm giving you hundreds of languages and spreading you out all over the globe so there will never been cooperation like this in the world again OKAY BYE PEACE OUT BROS."  And so, the city is named "Babel," which sounds like the Hebrew word for "confused."  The end.

As for me, I love languages.  I'm learning an African language for my mentoring project!  Yay!  Frankly, though, this isn't enough for me.  I tried to start learning Russian last year at UK, but I joined the class too late to catch up with everyone else. :(  Alas, Russian will have to wait until college.  I need to learn Spanish, too, but I think that'll come a little bit easier since it's very similar to French (and I know a good chunk of French now).  Anyway, one of my life goals is to learn as many languages as I can.  Whether it be Spanish, Russian, German, Arabic, and/or Chinese, I just want to be able to communicate.  Communication is one thing that really fascinates me; being able to talk to people who are different from you is so interesting!  Languages connect me to people and places, and I just think that's a beautiful concept.


No comments:

Post a Comment