Tuesday, October 29, 2013

So, there was this city called Sodom and it was pretty bad. God send two angels to warn Lot that he needed to get his family out of the city. The people of the city stormed Lot's door, demanding that he hand over Lot so that they may "know" him. (Mostly likely, they intended to rape him. However, in some texts this is translated as "have sex with" which is conspicuous to me. Having sex implies consent, which isn't really how the angles or Lot feel about the whole situation.) But have no fear! Lot has too lovely daughters who have yet to "know men" that the angry men at the door may gladly share. And the Father of the Year Award goes to Lot. (I would like to take just a moment to point out nowhere could I find a mention that this is sinful in the eyes of God. The angels just seem to roll with it.) It ends up that Lot, his wife and daughters leave Sodom and make there way to Zoar. But on the way to Zoar, Lots wife looks back on her old home and is turned to a pillar of salt. Tragic. Lot and his daughters end up in a cave somewhere and his charming daughters, the very same he was willing to throw to a pack a savages, decide that they must carry on the family line. So, on separate nights, they each get their father blackout drunk and sleep with him. The end. Yay Old Testament.

Firstly, can we talk about how how harsh God seems to be? The woman turned around to give a last look at her home. And for that she is forever a pillar of a table condiment? Rude. If I was struck down for taking a glance at something I shouldn't, well I wouldn't have made it far past the 6th grade. Seems like God has changed his tune. Or his parenting tactics. Which is curious because God is infinite and unchanging. I say this in love and respect; simply an observation about the text.

Having two younger siblings I know a thing or two about unfair punishment. I have observed that as my siblings and I get older, my parents have less and less energy to devote to correcting out behavior, which means my brother gets away with things I never would have dreamed of doing. Like blowing up the family toilet. I apologize for those of you who have already heard this story, but I simply can't get over it. On the Fourth of July, my brother and a group of 3-4 friends decided it would be a good idea to drop a firecracker in the front bathroom toilet. Thankfully there was no exploding porcelain, but water went everywhere and there was a significant crack running all through the now decimated contraption. His punishment? Purchase a new toilet and a week of "no friends." I can loose my phone and laptop for weeks on end for looking at my parents wrong.

*Disclaimer. I am the eldest child therefore I am flawless and my brother is the anit-christ. Except not. I get away with a lot of things he does not and vice versa. I just like telling that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment