Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Pygmalion and Galatea

The story of Pygmalion and Galatea is a Greek myth about this sculptor named Pygmalion. He had some "bad experiences" with women in his past (haha yeah suck it up) and had kinda swore off women, but then he made this statue, Galatea, that was soooo beautiful that he slowly became increasingly more fascinated with it. He kept like wishing it was real and stuff, to the point where he prayed to the gods for a wife just like Galatea. Aphrodite heard this, and proceeded to literally turn the statue into a living woman (presumably followed by a resounding "ehhh, close enough"). So he and this statue-woman got married, since that's not weird at all. Surprisingly, literally nothing bad came of this, even though Aphrodite usually fricks everything up. I could analyze this for hours though. I don't feel like going too deep into it, but here's some questions to consider. Isn't this pretty misogynistic, this guy saying that the ideal woman is just an object to be owned and fawned over? If an artist's creation is like his child, does this count as some weird form of incest? Was Aphrodite just screwing with Pygmalion, or did she do this to teach him a lesson? If the latter, what exactly is the lesson, since I doubt this dude learned anything. Actually, on that note, what is the whole point of this myth in the first place? It's literally nothing but fairly straight-forward wish fulfillment.

Oh goodness. What fictional character do I want to come to life? nyehhhhh I dunno. I don't really fangirl over anyone in particular, so I guess I'll pick based on logical reasons. It'd be cool if The Doctor was real (and I swear to god if you say "which doctor?" I'll rip your liver out (and if you smirk and say "Doctor who~?" I'll look at you all disappointed-like because that stopped being funny in 1963)). But I mean like, yeah, I guess I'd feel a little safer if there was an immortal, super-intelligent alien with freaky-advanced technology looking out for the whole human race just because he feels like it. Although he might get super-bored and disappointed with the lack of, or at least severe shortage of, cool extraterrestrial beings in our universe. But you know what? He can deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment