Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Babble On Yeah

At one time, everyone communicated the same way through the same language (how flippin' cool would that be?!  To be capable of sharing ideas that easily would be such a marvelous thing).  They didn't want to be separated from each other, so they decided to build a massive tower (like you do in Minecraft) to find their way back home (like you try to in Minecraft).  But NOOOOOOOOO, that was NOT going to fly with God.  He created people to disperse and multiply and fill His earth that He created.  They couldn't just stay in one area!  AAAAAAAAAAAND He didn't want them to become too capable of anything, and if they built this tower, that's what would have happened.  So He creates all sorts of new languages to confuse people.  By doing so He scattered them all over the world.  And that is how the city of Babel got its name, because everyone just babbled on and on and on without understanding each other.


Just look at how far it goes!  All the way up into the clouds...if you looked out, it would look like you were swimming.  And probably feel like it, too.


I like the criss-crossing paths on this one.


This last picture shows some of the confusion that existed with this multitude of languages.


As some of you may know, I kind of maybe really like Spanish.  Between my independent study, where I am currently reading the HP series in Spanish, to my mentoring project of creating and then teaching a community Spanish class, the language is everywhere in my life.  And I like it that way.  I want to help my church go on a mission trip to a Spanish speaking country (which may happen in the near future, as my new youth pastor has a deep relationship with Nicaragua).  I may even major in the language in college.

On that note, I think my next language would be something more historic, like a Quechua language, or Mayan.  I could also see my self learning Portuguese, even if it would just be to be able to note the differences between the two languages.


No comments:

Post a Comment