Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Destruction of Sodom

In this story, the city of Sodom is an extremely sinful place, and God decides that he will destroy it. Within the city of Sodom, Abraham's relative is visited by two angels who plan to destroy the city. Sinfully, Lot offers his daughters to an angry mob over the two angels that he is responsible for hosting. After this, the angels tell Lot and his family to flee the city, and begin to destroy it. They are also told not to look back at the flaming city. Unfortunately, Lot's wife looks back, and is turned into a column of salt. Mournfully, Lot and his two daughters flee further from Abraham out of fear. They live in a cave, and the daughters get their father drunk and sleep with him in order to continue their family lineage.

This story is extremely sad. However, I am glad that this is not the way that God operates these days, otherwise I think we'd all be in some major trouble. While dark, the story is a perfect example of what happens when you disobey authority. When someone senselessly disobeys, like Lot's wife did by looking back at the burning Sodom, he or she must face the consequences. In this case, Lot's wife gave a whole new meaning to being "salty" about the whole ordeal.

At some point in every one of our lives, we have or will fall victim too some form of unfair punishment. Either the punishment will outweigh the offense, or the punishment was not given to the appropriate person. In my case, the latter was the most common as a child. I had this friend that would do these random violent thing, for the sole purpose of turning around and blaming them on me. For example, this friend once broke my other friend's favorite toy sword on a tree in my back yard, and then told him that I broke it because I wanted it. First of all, that wouldn't make sense. If I wanted it, I would have stolen it, not broken it. Second of all, no... I didn't break the sword nor did I want it. However, I was blamed and had to buy the kid a new sword. It still haunts me to this day. That sword.

Unfair punishment is a huge part of soccer. This is a perfect example of it, where a referee gives an undeserved red card with a devilish smirk on his face.


1 comment:

  1. Great pun about Lot's wife being "salty." However do you so masterfully weave in soccer each week. What a feat of genius! :)

    ReplyDelete