Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sodom and Gomorrah

Sodom and Gomorrah were two cities that sat along the Jordan River. These cities were extremely wealthy and well off. At this time, if someone were to come to your house, you would, without questioning it, welcome them and make them feel at home. However, Sodom and Gomorrah essentially “cancelled” these laws in their land. They felt that this wasn't necessary, they wanted to keep their wealth to themselves. The case was, though, that two angels had appeared to Abraham. Abraham had then led the angels to Lot’s house in Sodom. Once they were at the door, Lot insisted that they come in. Townsmen arrived at Lot’s house and insisted that they “bring [the guests] out unto [them], so that we may know them” or  as put in other translations of the Bible “so that we can have sex with them.” (Genesis 19:5)
I think the most unfair punishment out there is that which you enforce upon yourself. I don’t think I can count how many times I've put myself down for messing up. I do it and I realize I do it. But I blame myself and I put myself down. Even though I shouldn't because I've tried my best and that’s all that really matters. And when you do put yourself down, you’re punishing both yourself and those around you. Yourself because you’re making yourself smaller and others because you’re depriving them of the "best" you.

No comments:

Post a Comment