Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Blog Number Six - Pygmalian and Galatea

I found this story rather... interesting (yeah, we'll say "interesting"). So there's this guy Pygmalian who had issues with women (he was the very opposite of what we call a "ladies man"). He vowed never to marry as he could only devote his attention to his art. One day he makes this amazing sculpture of a woman who appeared gentle and divine and was unparalleled in beauty. (I find it strange that even though he despised women he would have the nerve to carve one out. Just sayin'.) He falls in love with it, calling it Galatea meaning "she who is white like milk." He would buy it the best clothes, decorate it's stone hair with ornaments, and kiss it. Pygmalian was so in love with his artwork that he literally wanted to marry it. He prays to Aphrodite that it would come to life. She answers his prayers because she thought the statue looked exactly like her (Aphrodite being the goddess of beauty). Pygmalian comes home to find that the statue is alive (like Pinocchio!), and they get married and live happily ever after (well, Pinocchio doesn't get married).

I guess I can't judge him because I have become attached to some of my drawings (I drew this really cute picture of a cat one time and it would have been cool if it was alive but hey, that's life) but not to the point of wanting to marry it (mostly because I can't draw an attractive guy to save my life which is a real bummer...). If I could bring a character to life, one of the top ones I would pick is Kim Possible, just because she's an independent chick who saves the world from bad guys. I think as a child I tried to be just like her except I could never flip in the air like she could. Another character I would choose is a minion from Despicable Me (the yellow ones, not the hideous purple ones), except I don't know what they would look like in real life. Would they just be yellow blobs? There's also James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, The Doctor (the Tenth Doctor specifically), Mr. Darcy, the people from Star Trek Into the Darkness, and a bunch more.






No comments:

Post a Comment