Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tower of Babel

A long long long long time ago, all of Earth spoke the same language. One day, some people said "Hey, let's build this magnificent city with a tower that reaches heaven! We gotta make a name for ourselves or else we'll just be scattered!" This is pretty ironic, because when God sees the work that is being done by the people, he is not pleased by it. God--seeing that as long as humans had no language barrier, they could do almost anything--scattered humans all over the earth, gave everyone different languages, and named the (yet) unfinished city Babylon, which sounds like the Hebrew word for confuse. Just like how there is a reason for extensive pain during childbirth, this is the reason why people all over the Earth speak a significant diversity of languages. 

I'm not sure what my stairway to heaven is (I actually don't really know what a stairway to heaven is), but I do have an aptitude for languages! In the past I've learned mandarin Chinese, a little American Sign Language, and Spanish (Spanish being the one that I am most "fluent" in), but in the future, I would love for my next language to be French. Since Henry Clay didn't offer Chinese as a class when we started high school (I was learning Chinese at the time), I had to choose between beginning Spanish or French, and after much mental debate I ended up choosing Spanish. Sometimes I consider French to be the "one that got away".

That was cheesy, sorry.

I still want the opportunity to learn French though, so that will definitely be my next language.

No comments:

Post a Comment