Monday, October 21, 2013

Supply and Demand of Life

Daphne was a highly attractive nymph disinterested in romance. Apollo so mocked Eros that Eros shot Apollo with an arrow that made Apollo fall in love with Daphne. Apollo chased after Daphne (seemingly literally) and Daphne, not interested in Apollo, ran. Eventually, tired of running, Daphne appealed to her father, the river god Peneus, and he helped by turning her into a laurel tree. Still smitten, Apollo wore a laurel wreath, becoming a sort of primitive tree-hugger.

Also, this story is creepy and non-consensual and I think the below picture helps portray Apollo, as this story does, as something of a predator.

I'm probably against eternal youth. In a more applied sense, I think people have a strong tendency to remember the positives of any given experience more than the negatives. Returning for instance, from Alaska, I remembered the positive emotions I felt as a result of our trail achievement, the beauty in which we lived, and the friends I made; I've happily forgotten the drudgery and discomfort that felt so poignant at the time. Similarly, when not-young people remember their youth, they tend to stress the happy points and neglect the other points, leading them to wish for eternal youth. People of all ages have troubles and successes, and it's unfortunate that as we age we have a tendency to minimize the problems faced by those younger than us.

That doesn't inherently made eternal youth undesirable, it just suggests that people have skewed perceptions of youth and that this leads to a desire for eternal youth. I think eternal youth would devalue life, though, because scarcity helps determine the value of something (supply and demand!). And that's why I'm against eternal youth. Fortunately for me, I'm with the status quo.


No comments:

Post a Comment