Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Wilde and Funny

What tickles my funny bone about The Importance of Being Earnest? From just reading Act 1, I find humor in the various characters’ responses to absurd situations. These characters say ridiculous things and often think backwards from what we’re used to. For example, when Lady Bracknell questions Jack, she’s pleased to learn that he knows nothing because “[she does] not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance.” Wilde then finds this opportunity to comment on society by stating, “Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever.” (haha ouch…)

Algernon, like many other characters, is so ridiculous! He is another great example of characters that kind of think backwards. When Jack says that his name is not ‘Ernest,’ Algernon responds by saying “I’ll keep this [card] as a proof that your name is Ernest if ever you attempt to deny it to me.” He suggests that the card, with a labeled name on it, can better define Jack than the man himself.

Friends is/are hilarious. By this I mean both the show, Friends, and my personal friends. I love the show because the characters are extremely dorky and the situations they find themselves in highlight their dorkiness. I’m glad to say that I have friends who exhibit similar qualities to some of the characters. For example, I know plenty of people who think they’re really funny (Chandler) or who are just downright nerdy (Ross). And then I always have just that one friend (Joey) who might be super quirky (Phoebe) and uptight (Monica) or maybe a little ditsy (Rachel). The show is just perfect and funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment