Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Jacob and Esau

Jacob and Esau


     Like many twins I know, Jacob and Esau began a sibling rivalry in the womb and carried it out into the living, breathing world. Esau was the first to pop out, so he had birthrights that Jacob really wanted. Thus, Jacob began to resent Esau and looked for an opportunity to snag those birthrights. One day when Esau was hungry and wanting some red stew, Jacob offered up a trade of red stew for birthrights (sounds like a bad lunchroom trade). There was some trickery involved in their father, Isaac approving the swap. Isaac was livid when he figured the trick out, but Esau still ended up with the short end of the stick.
     I am the youngest of three girls, so my birthrights are a little limited. I am entitled to the not-so-great things like hand-me-downs, dirty pacifiers, and prejudice from many teachers my sisters previously had. I am also entitled to the perks of being the baby of the family like lessons from my siblings' failures, free babysitters, and a couple of great role models.

No comments:

Post a Comment