Thursday, December 19, 2013

Jacob and Esau (and some tiny Anna)

Abraham has a son named Isaac, who marries a woman named Rebekah.  The two of them are super desperate for some children, so Isaac asks the Lord, "Hey, bro, I really wanna have some babies, so will ya do me a favor and let my wife be preggers? Thanks, dude!"  The Lord is all down with that, so he answers Isaac's prayer.  However, he sorta overestimated what Rebekah would be able to handle, because he grants her with the absolute joy of being able to have twins.  She basically is like, "Lord!  Why'd ya HAVE to make me preggo with TWINS, man?!  One child at a time, please."  But the Lord sends her a message saying, "You're gonna give birth to two different nations!  One of the people will be stronger!  AND AND AAAAAND the older dude will serve the younger! LOL GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! BYEEE!"  What a pleasure.  Anyway, Rebekah gives birth to Esau first, who was red and hairy.  Then Jacob came out, grasping his older brother Esau's heel.  Esau grew to be a hunter, loved by his father.  Jacob grew to be a quiet, peaceful dude, whom his mother loved.  One night, Esau came home from a hunt, and he was like, "Yo, bro, hook me up with some of your stew, man."  But Jacob was all, "Gimme your birthright first, and then you can have some of my FABULOUS stew!"  Esau complained for a second before giving in because this dude was crazy hungry.

I guess I really don't have any birthright specifically, like possessions or property.  I'm an only child, so it's not like I've got the sibling competition factor.  I guess I can talk about what I've inherited personality-wise from my parents?
I was always destined to love theatre and music.  My dad grew up in New Jersey, really close to Manhattan, so my nana would take him to see shows all the time growing up.  My mom's mom is a piano teacher, and all of her siblings have been involved in music from childhood.  She herself learned how to play the piano at three-four years old, and she graduated from Duke with a music major (not sure which major specifically, but you catch my drift).  These two theatre/arts/music-loving people got together and raised me on the arts.  My first two movies that I ever watched were The Sound of Music and Cats (I would repeatedly ask to watch Cats and by the time I was three or four I could belt out "Rum Tum Tugger" like nobody's business).  When I was a baby, my mom would play all of her classical music CDs (or tapes?) for me.  By the time I was seven, West Side Story was my absolute favorite movie ever.  I remember seeing Grease for the first time at my cousin's high school, and I just wanted to be Sandy so badly.  Anyway, I'm rambling, but I'm pretty sure that that's the biggest inheritance I've gotten from my parents.
Here are some pictures of tiny Anna going to see shows at the Fox theatre (in Atlanta)!

Me with my mom at The Nutcracker (I think)
Me with the evil stepmother at Cinderella
And finally, me with the princess herself, Cinderella (from Cinderella, obviously)


No comments:

Post a Comment