Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Genesis 25

Isaac (a 40 year old) and Rebekah are a couple and Isaac prays that Rebekah will be pregnant. His prayers are answered and she actually has twins. Rebekah knows the twins are fighting in the womb and she asks God what will come of this, and he responds that the elder brother will serve the younger (contrary to the societal norm) so Esau is born first and then Jacob. Jacob is much more reserved than Esau; Rebekah favored Jacob and Isaac favored Esau.
One day, Jacob is fixing some stew and Esau wants some so Jacob makes a deal: Esau gets food if Jacob gets Esau's birthright. Esau is hungry so he agrees to it and it is mentioned that he doesn't value his birthright.

I have never really given much thought to my birthright prior to this......I guess I have been raised in a solid home with parents who take care of me so I would say that is part of it but I don't know exactly what is my "birthright"....I feel like this concept doesn't really exist in our society or I haven't experienced it making this super difficult to respond to.....

No comments:

Post a Comment