Thursday, December 5, 2013

Jacob and Esau (CEG)

"The eldest will serve the younger."
Isaac and Abraham had two sons, Jacob and Esau.
Esau was a "mans man". He was big and harry and the oldest of the two boys. He was a skillful hunter. Jacob was a mommas boy and loved cooking. Being the younger he didn't inherit much like Esau did.
One day as Jacob was cooking stew Esau came in. Tired and hungry from hunting all day, he demanded some stew from Jacob. Jacob said yes but only if Esau gave Jacob his birthright. Esau didn't think much of it and must have been famished because he agreed.
Even though Esau 'gave' Jacob his birthright the firstborn is still the only son who gets blessed so Jacob thought of another plan. Since, Esau is a harry guy and Isaac had become hard of seeing because of his old age, Jacob put on animal fur and tricked his father into blessing him instead of Esau.

My birthright, hm, well I am the third and youngest in my family. At first it seems as if the youngest has no birthright as compared to an eldest but as the youngest parents are typically more experienced, more lenient and a little tired(especially by three) so I have probably had it "easier" in some cases than if I was the middle or eldest child. Also I was born into a well off family. No we aren't rollin' in it but I am aware of my advantage compared to some.

1 comment: