Friday, December 6, 2013

Hello Friends!

Greetings from Kentucky, where we do wear shoes to school, there ARE paved roads, running water IS a thing here, and we don't ride horses everywhere. I hope you all are having a wonderful winter so far. I visit Breckenridge, CO every winter and I am jealous that you all get to enjoy the bennefits of your home all the time. What did you all think of The Importance of Being Earnest? I thought it was hilarious. I've only read a couple of comedies, and this is definately one of my favorites. It's this sort of dry humor that I really enjoy in literature. Like when Algernon had Lane make the cucumber sandwiches for his Aunt Augusta, but he ended up eating them all before she even arrived. Then, when she asked for one, Algernon asked Lane why there were none, and she replied "gravely" that there were no cucumbers at the market. A total lie, but it's the fact that she automatically knew to lie about it that I found funny. Another example is in the end of Act 3, when everyone finds out Jacks real name has been Earnest all along, he says to Gwendolen, "It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking the truth. Can you forgive me?" He is asking forgiveness for telling the truth all along. Pretty ironic. One of my favorite movies is Hot Rod with Andy Samburg. The randomness and unnecessary moments in the movie are what makes it funny, along with the short, pointless lines that the characters say, like "I'm going to my quiet place!" and "Who do you think would win in a fight between a grilled cheese sandwich and a taco?" This same type of comedy is what we see on SNL. http://www.hotrodquotes.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment