Thursday, December 5, 2013

CO: Puns, Battles of Wit, IBE, and GG

I have seen the movie adaptation of The Importance of Being Earnest at least twice so far this school year.  I love how the actors successfully bring the characters to life, taking Wilde's wit and satire to a whole new level.  In the play, you can easily see how it is full of smart comments and comebacks, with one almost every other sentence.  The relationship between Algy and Lane is one of my favorites; with the way they interact with each other, and with how well Lane knows his master, there is no room for anything but comedy between them.  Lane is ready with his support when he says "there were no cucumbers in the market." (14)  With as much as I appreciate Lane, Lady Bracknell is my favorite character.  Being the satiric representation of high society she is, her acceptance or nonacceptance of Jack's background cracks me up.  She is please that Jack knows nothing! (21)  When we did readers' theater for Act III, I loved reading her lines.  Wilde cleverly satirizes high society with how easily Lady Bracknell changed her mind about Cecily.  Man, I love her.

Puns are my favorite.  I love those cheesy, corny, horrible jokes that everyone else seems to hate.  I will laugh until I cry when I hear one.  Having said that, I greatly enjoy wars of wit, as seen in Gilmore Girls.  That show is my favorite, probably ever.  It all comes down to the relationships between the characters, and how they interact with each other.  When Lorelai is backtalking to her mother, or when she is goofing around with her daughter Rory, I feel peacefully happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment