Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Jacob and Esau

Genesis 25 starts off detailing Abraham and the lineage he left behind. The list is quite extensive and shows how Abraham's descendants developed into numerous tribes. In the midst of this was Abraham's son Isaac. Isaac married Rebekah and had the had two twins, who had struggled with each other in the womb. The older twin was named Esau. The younger twin was named Jacob, who was known for grabbing Esau's heel as he was born. The story fast forwards to the young lives of the twins, when Esau sells his birthright to Jacob so that he can have a bowl of stew and not die of starvation. This is foreshadowed, especially in the New Living Translation (NLT), by God telling Rebekah that the younger son will rule over the older son, as is the case with the transferred birthright.

I have one younger brother, and when it comes to my parents, I don't really have any special birthright whatsoever. They treat us both equally, and in some cases often unequally in my brother's favor. While I have the privilege of experience nearly everything before my brother, I'm also given the responsibility to guide him, even when he refuses such guidance. This conflict often results in yelling and the occasional brawl. And usually, being the older brother, my parents blame me. Oh well, it's just part of the job I guess.

http://www.improvingyourworld.com/relationships/brothers35810241.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment