Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hey Coloradans!

Going into this play I had my doubts about its comical nature, but I actually really enjoyed this book (to the point that I read the whole play in one night)! Out of the first act there were two things that stuck out in terms of humor: the cucumber sandwiches and the parcel comparison.
-OK so as for the cucumber sandwiches, I found the fact that he was eating them all instead of leaving them for the guest as funny, but more than that I love how Lane just goes along with the fact that there were no cucumbers at the market (not even for ready money)....it just seemed like the perfect response, which is impressive considering Lane didn't have much time to craft an answer. 
-The second part I appreciated was when Lady Bracknell is talking to Jack about the proposal and says "You can hardly imagine that I and Lord Bracknell would dream of allowing our only daughter....to marry into a cloak-room, and form an alliance with a parcel." I mean like who says that sort of thing??? Well I found it funny just because it is so absurd.
In the second act I also enjoyed the part where Cecily says she has already been engaged to Ernest/Algernon and she starts reading her diary.."Today I broke off my engagement with Ernest. I feel it is better to do so"...and then she goes on to say how she ended up forgiving him....All this before even meeting him!! 

Personally I use sarcasm a bunch (my parents hate it.....) so I appreciate satire in most reading. On the other hand, I am not too much of a fan of situational irony, especially when a bunch of things are a "coincidence". For example, the fact that his name actually ends up being Ernest is nice in terms of the story but I didn't really enjoy that part and same with a lot of the other things that just happen to perfectly fall in to place.......and though they can be corny I do find puns funny, or atleast I laugh when I hear them. Pretty much the humor that I appreciate is word play and sarcasm but there are some exceptions!

Well that is the end of this post, hope it wasn't too boring! Have a nice day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment