Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Oscar Wilde Humor

Dearest New Pal,

After reading the first act of Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest, I realize the witty and satirical humor that makes this work a true comedic classic. In the first act, one line stands out to me as exemplary of Wilde’s sense of humor in this play. “Well, I must say, Algernon, that I think it is high time that Mr. Bunbury made up his mind on whether he was going to live or to die” said Lady Bracknell in her classic, high-society, snooty manner. Wildes’ irreverent sense of humor causes him to say the things that most would not dare, or think, to say. Another section that I found particularly funny is the dialogue between Lane and Algernon about the lack of cucumbers in the market. This use of situational irony, we as readers know that there were indeed sandwiches but Algernon ate them all, also shows a commonly used style of humor in this play. Wilde also often criticizes the upper-class which is also very funny, seeing as the high society types would be the audience of the play at the time when it was written.

My sense of humor is largely varied, depending on my mood; I find quite a few different styles of humor funny. It is hard to pinpoint the type of humor I do like, but I do know very clearly the type of humor I do not like. I am not a fan of physical humor, for example, I hate the show America’s Funniest Home Videos. I am usually a sucker for some good ol’ situational irony, parody, and sarcasm to critique society. I like shows that have political satire and parody, some Saturday Night Live skits that combine both these things make up some of my favorite TV moments. Currently, some of the funny shows I love are Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment