Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Plague of People Who Think They are Smart



Hello people I don't know yet. I must say that I can be a rather sarcastic person sometimes, but I'll do my best to not confuse you and befuddle you while you maybe pick this post to respond(?) to. First well, the humor in The Importance of Being Earnest, or stupidity, is rather dissappointing to me. Picturing these peacocks in high society struting around thinking that they are the smartest and most well cultured and then stating things like,

Algernon: Did you hear what i was playing, Lane?
Lane: I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.
Algernon: I'm sorry for that, for your sake. I don't play accurately--anyone can play accurately--but I play with wonderful expression.

caught me off gaurd because well, the first impression was intelligent people are musically trained as we see in Pride and Prejudice (a very good book and movie at that). Then all of the sudden the twist of Algernon saying that he doesn't play accurately, even though everyone else can (which a lot of people really can't today... sorry) shows the either ignorance of his statement or Algernon's sad attempt at sounding well educated. Another example of this rather pitiful delusion of intelligence is when Lady Bracknell has her last words with Jack about marrying Gwendolen.

Lady Bracknell: Me, sir! What has it to do with me? You can hardly imagine that I and Lord Bracknell would dream of allowing our only daughter--a girl brought up with the utmost care--to marry into a cloak-room, and form an alliance with a parcel. Good morning, Mr. Worthing!

This poor poor lady takes offense at his, what is it, lack of societal status at birth? and ends up blabbering on at how her well raised daughter will not marry a handbag ever!!! (although in today's society, that seems to happen a lot... is this a warning? who knows!). I find this scene the most ridiculous of all and funniest because all I can picture is Downton Abbey's Lady Grantham (Maggie Smith) getting all worked up about marring her respectable granddaughter to a handbag! HA! now thats funny! Wilde's banter and word play really create this scene for me because I really enjoy Downton Abbey and the language reminds me of a mix of The Three Stooges and Penny from The Big Bang Theory.

Now on to TV shows and Youtube clips and so much more. Personally, I go by Ginny, so I have a certain affiliation with the Harry Potter series (both books and movies) and find the StarKid parody's of the books absolutely hysterical. Yes, sometimes it can be a drag and it is called A Very Potter Musical, A Very Potter Sequel, and A Very Potter Senior Year, man can it be funny. The stereotypes of the characters are great with so much word play and physical humor.... Malfoy is played by a girl and yeah thats not nearly all of it. Some other favorite comedy's of mine are The Big Bang Theory, How I met Your Mother, Gilligan's Island (an oldie, but a goodie...it actually reminds me of this, well Gilligan does) and other shows like that!


No comments:

Post a Comment