Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hello there Colorado

Act I of Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest uses a variety of satire, farce and puns in order to convey a comedic mood for the play. I particularly find his comedy of manners and satiric language especially humorous in that they ridicule and criticize society and love in a very light, ironic manner. For example, when Lady Bracknell is interviewing Jack, her intial whipping out of the notebook is humorous in that she was ready to interview any man that her daughter wanted to marry. As she continues interviewing, she adds in funny little sidepoints, like "Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever," and "our only daughter... [forming] an alliance with a parcel," (21-25). Her irony and sarcasm make this particular scene funny to me.

I actually don't find a lot of modern humor funny. Only a few things can make me laugh, and the one venue that I find especially funny is Vine videos. If you didn't already know, Vine is a website that contains a multitude of videos that last up to 6 seconds long; you can make your own or watch some from all over the world. Videos are made about anything, and the ones that I tend to watch are the comedy ones. Each video only has 6 seconds to make you laugh, so they have to get to the point quickly. I find them funny because the people who make the videos that I watch use a variety of satire in irony, parody, and exaggeration; farce in verbal and physical humor; and comedy of manners in witty exchanges and scandal. If you ever want a good laugh, download the Vine app and check out the comedy section.

No comments:

Post a Comment