Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Jacob and Esau

There were two brothers- Jacob and Esau. Esau was older by a few seconds, which apparently is a big deal, because Esau has this amazing birthright that Jacob does not get. *puberty plus a few years later* Being a bulky hulky man Esau goes out hunting. Esau returns. Jacob offers him stew...in exchange for his birthright. That stew looked mighty good, so Esau agreed. This is not a set in stone deal, so he runs to mommy to trick daddy next. Apparently Esau is very hairy and Isaac, the father, is nearly blind. Jacob puts animal fur on his arms. His father touches it. Instantly believes he is talking with Esau; Isaac's hearing must have been a tad off too. Jacob, masquerading as Esau, tells Isaac to give the birthright to Jacob. How dramatic.

Do I have a birthright? Insanity? Most likely. My upbringing may have been my birthright. I am the oldest, received much attention from my mother, which did not have to be divided amongst other children. As a result of this she was very deliberate in her choices as a mother. Stuff like being careful about what I ate, how much tv time I got, making sure I played outside. By the time it got to my brother, as long as he wasnt screaming or breaking things it was a go. I dont really know if this fits the prompt. I also dont know if I am in the position to think about it too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment