Wednesday, December 4, 2013

To Longmont, from Lexington


In part of Act 1 of The Importance of Being Earnest, I was most amused by the discussion of Jack’s parentage on pages 23-25. I particularly liked Lady Bracknell’s concern about marrying Jack because she doesn’t want to “form an alliance with a parcel” (25). I also liked Jack’s casual manner when describing how he was found in a hand-bag; he describes the hand-bag in detail, explains the origin of his last name, and notes that he still has the handbag, all in a serious but matter-of-fact tone. The other section of Act 1 that amused me a fair amount was Algernon’s absurd discussion of Burnburying (11, for example).

It’s hard to describe a sense of humor in writing, but mine is generally pretty dry. I really like off-the-cuff puns; I like some political humor, but not if it’s too over-the-top. I’m a major rap fan, and a lot of rap has excellent humor in it—puns are widespread, and some of my favorite rappers (Lupe Fiasco, Jay Z, Kanye West, Chiddy Bang) are particularly funny beyond their punning. Of my favorite movies, the funniest is O Brother, Where Art Thou? The scene I remember most vividly is when Delmar (the funniest character) is watching a baptism while eating roasted gopher. I also think Little Miss Sunshine, a film centered on a dysfunctional family, is very funny. I read The Onion every now and then; sometimes, I think it’s really funny, but most of the time, I’m not a huge fan. This is in part because most satire is too over-the-top for me.  It’s harder to categorically characterize my feelings about comedy of manners and farce but to say that I generally like moderation/subtlety/dryness and some sarcasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment