Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Jacob, Esau, and birthright

After Abrahams death, God promises Rebekah the birth of two sons who will be the rulers of two nations. Esau is born first and Jacob follows holding on to the ankle of Esau. They grow up to be completely opposite people. Rebekah helps Jacob to receive the blessing of his father, Isaac. Jacob fears his brother Esau and flees to his uncle in upper Mesopotamia. On his way to his uncle's, Jacob dreams that God promises Jacob the same covenant that he promised to Abraham and Isaac. Jacob marries both of Laban's daughters and together 12 children are born. Eventually, Jacob returns to Canaan with his family, flocks and Laban's collection of idols. He and his family are welcomed by Esau. Esau has intermarried with the Canaanites and produced the Edomites tribe. Jacob's decedents are the Israelite people.

I was born into a family who has high expectations for me. That is my only birthright. I am the first born of my family; however, that does not mean that I am entitled to all of my families cars, house, land and money. Birthright does not play a role in American society. My siblings and I are all equals in the eyes of my parents and the gifts from our parents will all be equal. However, if I lived 100s of years ago.... wait nevermind I am a female... even as the first born, I don't matter in birthright.

No comments:

Post a Comment