Thursday, December 19, 2013

Earnest humor vs. my humor

Most of the humor from the play The Importance of Being Earnest comes from Oscar Wilde's ironic and outlandish situations.  Throughout the play, I found myself growing fonder and fonder of Wilde's writing style and interpretation of people in high society; he constantly had them discussing life matters so ironically and so ridiculously that I couldn't help but laugh out loud.  For example, when Lady Bracknell first arrives at Algernon's house, her simple greeting is so stiff and almost condescending that it's a bit insensitive, but still humorous to the audience:
"Lady Bracknell:  Good afternoon, dear Algernon, I hope you are behaving very well.
Algernon:  I’m feeling very well, Aunt Augusta.
Lady Bracknell:  That’s not quite the same thing.  In fact the two things rarely go together."
The whole play continues like this, especially for Lady Bracknell.  Her character is probably my favorite just because she's so hilariously absurd!  In the first act, she sits down to have a chat with Jack in regards to his wanting to marry Gwendolen.  She interviews him for every little aspect about his life to make sure that he's a good fit for Gwendolen.  I mean, this lady actually interviews the dude to see if he's respectable!  How is that not hilarious?!  Anyway, one of my favorite parts from that scene is when Lady Bracknell tells Jack that she can hardly imagine her only daughter to "form an alliance with a parcel."  I laughed for about 80 years after reading that.  Oh oh oh, and another part of this scene that I love is when my Number One Lady says to Jack, "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness." Who does that?!  That's just hilariously bitter and blatant!  Seriously, people, I'm currently still laughing over that line as I type this.

So, my type of humor varies quite a bit.  I can go from laughing at horrible puns to a well-written play (like this one!) in a split second.  Mostly, I just love British humor.  It's so much better, and at times it's more elegant, than American humor.  Americans tend to like butt/farting jokes and "your mom" jokes and things like that, which are honestly the dumbest, most childish things I've ever heard.  You know those Adam Sandler/Melissa McCarthy types of movies?  (The recent ones, anyway?)  I hate those.  They're just absolutely not funny at all to me.  Every now and then, I'll be okay with one, but in general, I just avoid those.  Just not my style.  I prefer witty humor, like the humor used in the (British) TV show Doctor Who, or written in the Percy Jackson book series.  Anything that makes me have to really think about why something's funny is what I find amusing.  I know not everyone rolls that way, but that's definitely what I enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment