Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tricks and Sacrifices and UGH REMUS AND ALLEGIANT I CAN'T EVEN

And in this story, God plays yet another trick on a human.

Figures.
There's this guy named Abraham, right?  Right!  Abraham has this son, Isaac, whom he loves a lot.  Great!  Life's going amazingly for the two of them for a while until God shows up to Abraham one day.  "Hey, broski, whaddup?  How are you today?" he asks Abraham.  "Oh, nothin' much.  What about you, God?" Abraham replies.  "Things are great.  You know, I've been thinking about adding another few people into the world today and grow some grass and oh btw you have to sacrifice your pride and joy, Isaac, OKAY BYE BRO TTYL!"
Yay!
Welp, Abraham is obviously not happy about it, but he figures it must be worth it if God's asking him to sacrifice Isaac.  So, he takes Isaac to go make a sacrifice on Mt. Moriah (Isaac, of course, unknowing to his own demise!  How pleasant is that?).  Isaac's all like, "Dad where's the cattle we're gonna give to the Big Man?" and his dad is just sort of like, "Don't worry about that.  It'll come, somehow.  You know, just, er, it'll show up when we get there."
Sure, it will.
The two build an alter on the mountain, and Abraham ties Isaac up to it, and he's just about to stab him when God shows up again and is like, "LOL BRAMMY JK gawd I didn't actually mean for you to kill him yeesh.  I get it, you fear me, just don't kill your kid. ALRIGHT BYE BYE LOL WASN'T THAT FUN SEE YA LATAH ALLIGATAH!"
Then Abraham kills a ram to sacrifice instead.


So, being seventeen years old, I really don't think I can use personal experience to talk about sacrifice.  Sorry, I just don't really know if any of us--or at least I--have faced real sacrifice and what it means to give something up.  I guess if I were to define it, I'd call sacrifice giving up something that means absolutely everything to yourself for the good of humanity/the world or even for just one person.

*cough cough* And I quote, "She taught me all about real sacrifice. That it should be done from love... That it should be done from necessity, not without exhausting all other options. That it should be done for people who need your strength because they don't have enough of their own.”--Allegiant by Veronica Roth

So, I can think of two characters immediately who know exactly what it is to sacrifice your life/your being for something.
The first character is from Allegiant, by Veronica Roth, and since that book is fairly new, I shan't say who it is. ^.^  But here's some awesome fanart, anyway?  (By sukieblackmore!)
Anyway, next character:  Remus Lupin, of course.  He literally gives his life for his family and his son, so that they--and the rest of the Wizarding and Muggle Worlds--could have better lives.  Remus had just gotten his family, had just found the love of his life, had finally found peace in the world--and he gave it all up not weeks later to help stop a war.  Ugh I just have so many feelings about him so I'll just shut up now.

 See, look how happy he is!
 And here he is, with all of the dead characters in HP.  Ugh.  *cries for eternity*

Oh, and here he is, dead.  Pleasant, yes?  He had just been killed (and you can see Bellatrix about to kill Tonks HOIWEROADIS UGH).  *sobs into the night*

First two pictures by burdge, and the last picture is by endoftheline!

No comments:

Post a Comment