Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Blog Number Ten - Echo and Narcissus

The story starts with the nymph Echo. Although she is beautiful she talks a lot. Zeus uses this to his advantage by having her distract his wife Hera while he does "stuff." Hera gets mad when she learns about this and punishes Echo by taking her voice so she can only repeat what others say. She meets Narcissus in the woods and tries to express her love for him. He freaks out because he's only interested in himself. Echo hides in the mountains where her body withers away into the stone so only her voice is left. Narcissus continues to reject lovers and one of them finally got fed up with him and called for justice. The gods punished him by making him fall in love with his own reflection at a silver pool. He keeps trying to win the love of his reflection and ends up dying from hunger because of it. He dies and his body turns into a Narcissus flower. Or a daffodil.

Well I can't think of a narcissist off the top of my head except for Gaston from Beauty and the Beast, and I don't particularly abhor him because he's pretty amusing. But then again, he does address that Belle is beautiful too. But then again, he thinks that she's into him because he's handsome. Actually the more I think about it, maybe he's not so amusing.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=2y88hCkS_gkxsM&tbnid=2Ka0QRuPeOgOgM:&ved=0CAcQjB0wAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpoisonedwell.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F10%2F03%2Fsexism-in-disney-films%2F&ei=xqV5UuNso53JAaiggVA&psig=AFQjCNGAbDyEIpX27amZNS6Igyupcdpltw&ust=1383790406068304
An altruistic person I admire is probably my sis. She always put herself before others and rarely acted in a selfish manner. I used to be annoyed by this because I thought she was just sucking up to people, but now I wish I could be more like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment