Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Abraham and Isaac

In order to test Abraham's faith, God calls to him and orders him to sacrifice his son, Isaac, to God as a form of worship.Abraham obliges and over the course of the next three days, he prepares two servants and Isaac for the sacrifice (which he is being kept in the dark about). Abraham has Isaac carry his own sacrificial wood up the mountain, and Isaac starts questioning things, like where the lamb is that is going to be offered. Abraham lies and answers “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”. He has to obey God, after all. When they finally reach the mountain top and the sacrifice is about to begin, an angel appears and intervenes, saying that he has shown his fear of God and does not have to kill his son, and a ram appears for the offering. So ultimately, Abraham wasn't lying to his son about the animal.
When it comes to my feelings about true sacrifice, I consider it gving up something very important for something more valuable. In my own life, I sacrificed the most important thing in my life-gymnastics- for a focus on education for my future. It was hard giving up gymnastics, but I felt that it was the right time to sacrifice in order to put my all into school and other activities important pertaining college and beyond.
The angel intervening.

No comments:

Post a Comment