Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Abraham and Isaac Sacrifice

The story of Abraham and Isaac is in the book of Genesis. Abraham was put to a huge test by the sacrifice of Isaac. He ended up passing the trial and test because Abraham put his faith completely in God. Isaac was Abraham's son, his only son, who he loved so dearly. God told Abraham to take his son Isaac to the region of Moriah. God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac there as a burnt offering of one of the mountains that God will tell him about. So, Abraham took Isaac, a donkey, and two servants on the fifty mile journey to Moriah. God ordered Abraham and Isaac to go up the mountain. So basically, he was being tested to see how much love and sacrifice he had, if he would sacrifice his one son. Abraham put all of his confidence in the Lord, and it ended up helping them out immensely. Abraham was perplexed, but he bound Isaac with ropes and placed him on the stone altar. In the moment of Abraham raising a knife to slay his son, an angle spoke to him. The angel of the Lord said not to harm Isaac and to stop immediately. The angel said that it was evident that Abraham fearing the Lord because he didn't withheld his son. Instead, he ended up being provided with an animal to sacrifice, instead of his only son.
This story may seem crazy and far fetched to some parents. We all hope that our parents wouldn't sacrifice us today. The most sacrifice in my life is probably for swimming. I was up at 4:30 this morning to drive through the cold snow, get in a cold pool, then start a normal day. Then after school, I got to practice again for three hours to basically make my body feel numb. I'm struggling to stay awake right now to finish my work because I'm so exhausted, but I'm just used to it by now. It's a sacrifice that I make, and it is a part of my life. In the summer and on the weekends, my friends usually make jokes about me falling asleep so early or not pulling an all nighter because I know I have to wakeup before daylight to swim. It teaches me a lot, and I have sacrificed a lot with school to be much more efficient, with my family to drive me at 5 am before I could drive, and with my social life because it is difficult sometimes. I'm glad I have something like this to give me a glimpse at what sacrifice is because if we don't give up things for that special something, then how do we know what we value? In order to show someone or something how important he, she, or it is, you have to make sacrifices to show that it is a priority in your life and you will do anything to better it.
I thought this picture was appropriate because it's where I spend all my countless hours with all sorts of thoughts.
http://www.google.com/search?q=university+of+kentucky+swimming+pool&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vOeCUoijI5DJsQT124DgCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1177&bih=617#facrc=_&imgrc=mTBQYO78SD5ukM%3A%3BBmLkTZXml-zhJM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fgrfx.cstv.com%252Fschools%252Fkty%252Fgraphics%252Fimage_lib%252Fswimming_facility1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ukathletics.com%252Fathletic-dept%252Faquatic-center.html%3B250%3B206

No comments:

Post a Comment