Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Abraham and Isaac plus Midnight Hoops

The story of Abraham and Isaac can honestly be confusing after the first time reading. Now that this is my third time reading it. Here's what I've been able to come up with. So God, as he does with all of his children, tests Abraham's loyalty and faith in the Lord by demanding that he sacrifice his son Isaac at the top of the mountain. Abraham, unflinching, adheres to the Lord's wishes and goes up to the mountain with his two servants and Isaac. It is only when Abraham is about to kill Isaac that the angel of the Lord steps in and says, "Now I know that you fear God". The main parallel I can draw from this story is that Abraham is intending to act in the same way God acted with Jesus as he sacrificed his son. Now, I know that leaves a lot of gray area and room for confusion and interpretation. However, I feel like a sufficient answer comes from later in the Bible. Isaiah 55:8 "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine."

Speaking of True Sacrifice, I currently made a sacrifice of my own in the last 24 hours: The sacrifice of sleep. Sleep, precious sleep. I gave up any chance of being well rested today when I stayed up to watch the ESPN 24 College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon. 24 consecutive hours of live games. I've lived up the phrase that I "Eat, Sleep, and Breathe College Basketball". My favorite game so far has been the St. Mary's-Akron game out in California, which tipped off at 3am this morning on the East Coast. Gotta love it. By the time we read this post tomorrow, UK fans will be either really happy or really pissed. The marquee game tips off tonight between #2 MSU and the #1 Ranked Wildcats on ESPN.

http://www.mercurynews.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=5537746

Pictured here, SMC's Kerry Carter drives to the basket as the Gaels defeat the Akron Zips 85-63. (Notice all the empty seats in the background)




No comments:

Post a Comment