Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Abraham and Isaac

God decided to put Abraham to the test; he said “Take your son, your only son, whom you love – Isaac—and sacrifice him as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.” Abraham cut enough wood for the offering and set out for the place with his son. On the way, Isaac asked Abraham about the lamb for the offering. He realized that they had the wood and the fire, but no lamb. Abraham told Isaac that God would provide the lamb for the offering. After reaching the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar and arranged the wood. He tied Isaac up and laid him on the altar. When Abraham raised the knife to slay his son, an angel of the Lord called out to him and stopped him. The angel said “now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your only son.” Abraham saw a ram and sacrificed it instead of his son. Because of Abraham’s loyalty, God blessed him and made his descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky.


Sacrifices come in many forms, so a blanket definition could be: giving up something for the betterment of someone else. My parents have made many sacrifices for me and my sister. They sacrifice their time for us every day. Whether it be paying for my music lessons, driving me to school, or taking me to new places my parents sacrifice their time and money so that I can learn and experience more of our world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment