Sunday, November 24, 2013

Jason and the Golden Fleece

Athamas, a Greek King, puts his wife, Nephele, in jail because he gets tired of her. He then marries Io. Nephele hopes that Io will not try to murder her childeren but Io does attempt to murder them. She gathers seed-corn and makes it so no crops will grow. Then has a messenger tell Athamas that they only way the famine will end if to sacrifice his son, Phrixus.
Athamus and Io take Phrixus to the sacrificial altar. Just before they kill him a ram with fleece of gold take him and his sister. The ram is sent by Nephele's prayers.
The ram takes the children across the water from Europe and Asia and the sister slips and drowns. Phrixus makes it safely, scarifies the ram and gives it to King Etes.
Meanwhile, Pelias stole the crown from his brother. Pelias is told by an oracle to be wary of a man wearing one sandal. Jasons, the kings nephew, comes into town wearing one sandal. He came to claim his "rightful" place as king. Pelias says he can have the throne if he would get the golden fleece.
After a long journey and battle Jason finally reaches King Etes.
Hera and Aphrodite are going to make Cupid make King Etes's daughter, Medea, fall in love with Jason. Jason then asks Etes for the fleece but fiest Jason must plow a field of dragon's teeth. Jason agrees even though he is sure he will die in the process. But thanks to cupid, Medea gives Jason a potion to make him invincible for one day. Also she suggests throwing a rock in the middle of the men because they will kill  each other.
Even though Jason is victorious, the King will still not give him the fleece. He wants to kill Jason, but Medea takes him to the fleece, charms the serpent guarding it and goes with Jason back home.
On their way home Medea kills her brother, she thinks to protect Jason. When they get to Greece she has King Pelias killed by his daughters. Jason marries someone else and Medea is so angry that she kills the bride and her own sons fathered by Jason.

I don't really have anything specific come to mind when I think of 'love and revenge'. I don't watch love movies, I want to laugh when I watch a movie. I don't listen too many songs of that nature because I like to relate to the music I listen to and I've never been in love. I guess what I think about is how I doubt I would ever get revenge on someone based on love. I just don't see it in my personality. But I can't say for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment