Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sestina

Senior


Is anyone doing this work?
My mind and body have resigned to do nothing but sleep.
Sleep and watch movies.
Can you blame me? Girls just want to have fun.
Wait, I have school?
I thought that was done.

We are all done.
I've got my own work
to do outside of school.
Bills to pay,people to see, sleep
to catch up on. I will have fun.
This isn't how it is in the movies.

They are lies, all types of movies
are straight up lies. Once again, done.
Too stressed for fun.
Too busy for work.
Too excited for sleep.
Too tired for school.

Too bad. You need it. School
is not really an option. Another lie told by the movies.
You will need to sacrifice sleep.
I don't care if you're done.
Bitch, you gotta work.
You have to get to college before you have fun.

Make up your own fun.
Your mission- succeed at school.
You don't live in Finland. School is designed to be boring work.
Oh look, movies!
No! You have work to get done.
Finish your work and then you may sleep.

There will be other nights and other people with which to sleep;
this is not fun
but that's not the point. You need to get done
with school.
Then you can play like in the movies.
Then you can abandon the work.

Sacrifice sleep for school
Hold off on the fun, unlike in the movies
You are done but the same can not be said for the work




Obviously, I am not happy about this whole school thing anymore. In true bratty teenager fashion, I am over school. (Mrs.Whitman please don't take this personally. I love you and your class. I am simply exhausted after four years in this, umm, hellhole...can I say that? Oh well, I did.) I am not a poet. This is not a good sestina. However, I feel that its poor quality adds to my message.  

I'm leaving the paragraph because the sentiment stands. I did however choose to change some wording from my original sestina. Upon my read through I found multiple places where my meaning was muddled so I tried to clear those up. As far as literary devices go, I already had an allusion, or at least I think I did. "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" counts; I say so. I also added a double entendre, I think. "And other people with which to sleep" where I hint at an activity that really involves little actual sleeping. Again, not sure that this counts but I sure hope it does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment