Sunday, March 16, 2014

My Sestina- KY Weather

I didn't have access to a computer Wednesday-Saturday, so here's my sestina, inspired by the weird weather we've been having.
Disclaimer: I'm not the world's most renowned poet, so bear with me in this.

After all of the long months of winter,
with everything feeling all chilly and nippy,
we all wished for a change in the weather.
We longed for sixty
degrees, but we only got twenty
if we were lucky. Oh how much we wanted summer!

Isn't February supposed to lead us to summer?
It doesn't seem like it, because all that we are seeing is more winter.
The temperature is still twenty
and instead of warm, we get nippy.
Maybe soon the degree will be sixty
And we'll have a pleasant change in the weather.

It's now March and we are a toy of the weather.
For a couple of days we had summer!
We had the joy of sixty
degrees. But then it just as quickly turned back to winter
and instead of windows down we had nippy
air, and the temperature was again at twenty.

So now I am walking to my car in this twenty
degree weather.
It is too nippy.
It seems as though it's five years away, that summer,
as I don't see an end to this winter.
The cold feels like I'm being stabbed with knives, approximately sixty.

It is now almost April, and we have seen more of those days close to sixty
degrees. There's still a few days of twenty
stuck in there, but winter
is no longer here. Mother Nature is finally giving us nice weather!
I can almost taste summer
it's so close. No longer will the outside be nippy.

It's May and in trade for nippy,
we never get a degree below sixty.
We are finally having summer.
Every degree around twenty
is gone, and all we have are good vibes and good weather.
I'm so glad to finally be done with that brutal winter!

It was sixty, and then it was twenty
degrees in one week. We experienced winter and we experienced summer
even in one day. It could be nippy or boiling at any time.. Nothing's more confusing than our crazy weather.

For my revisions, I just re-read the poem and fixed some things. I corrected some typos and errors that were made and cleared up some awkward sentences. I already had a lot of enjambment in the poem to begin with, so I just fixed up some of the parts that didn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment