Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Sestina-Splash

It all starts with a splash
The five AM morning rush
Why'd I sign up for swim
How can I get through practice
Please stop screaming at me, coach
Cramps and pain are always present

Yet I chose this sport coach
The diving off the blocks rush
The thrill of winning a swim
The camaraderie between in every practice
The friendships that won't drift present
A special bond from the splashes

The connection between all the swimmers
Always admiring olympians in magazine Splash
The best workout in each practice
The dedication that lives from coach
The sense of accomplishment is present
That's why we thrive the rush

The ups and downs in practice
One day you're so happy coach
The other just tearing your present
You can't give up the rush
Your time will come from splash
Be patient, and mostly just swim

It is what I know-swimming
Since four I've gone to practice
And from that very first splash
I was hooked like a present
I must trust in my coach
Every dive off gives a rush

I wonder how I'd be splashing
Probably no where near the rush
Splash my face before every practice
Get pumped up for best swims
Count every stroke; please the coach
I must always fulfill my present

Race my best; give the splash
Endure the best thrill that's present
Admire the rush from every stroke




1 comment:

  1. Writing a sestina has been an interesting journey because I am not a poet in any way. I'm not the most creative person when it comes to these things, yet this is a cool type of poem. At first, I thought you just used the same word in every stanza, so I messed it up. Then, I was able to go back and do it correctly with the same end words. I didn't dream of it being so challenging to use splash, rush, practice, swim, coach, and present as the end words every time. It tested my creativity! Yet, I feel like I was able to show how I feel about swimming through this poem, so that's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete