Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Allusions Blog - Book of Ruth

Ruth was a Moabite woman and Naomi was an Israelite. Naomi's husband, Elimelech, moved his wife and two sons to Moab to avoid the famine in Israel. One of Ruth's sons married Naomi and her other son married Orpah. She was fond of both of her daughters-in-law and they were just as fond of her despite their differences in religious background.
Before Ruth and Orpah had children, both of their husbands died. Naomi's husband also died and she decided to return to Judah. Her two daughters went with her, but when she urged them to return back to Moab because she had no way to provide for them and no sons for them to marry. Orpah, who had a family, a mother, and a home waiting for her in Moab decided to go back. However, Ruth stuck with Naomi; she was willing to leave behind her culture and adopt Naomi's.

I don't really know what to say about interracial relationships. I'm Japanese-American. I think interracial relationships are pretty awesome. One of the many conversations my family has is whether my sister, my brothers, and I will marry an American, an Asian, an ethnically diverse person, etc. We have determined that Rei will probably marry an Asian. Yu will marry an American. Apparently my dad thinks I'll go for a European guy (preferably from Spain, Italy, and/or France). We're still trying to figure Cathy out. I personally think she'll choose an American guy, but hey, that's just me. So, yeah, that's interracial relationships in the Kono family.

No comments:

Post a Comment