Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sestina


One day, I felt a pull
towards the fantastic, plastic rocks
blue, green, and orange, packed tightly onto the wall
I knotted and I chalked and I climbed.
All this, last Fall:
it was then I tasted what was in hold.

So I climbed
each week, sometimes more, and its hold
on me strengthened. It mattered not to fall
and up I would go, with feet I would push, and with arms I would pull
Each day, my arms pumped tight
as I ascended these simulated rocks.

Each attempt brought new fake rocks
From generous jugs, to slippery slopers, to upturned underclings, I climbed.
With each new ascent, my vibe was tight.
A new route brought a new hold,
New scratches to sustain, new muscles to nearly pull
And, pushing myself, often did I fall.

I put on my harness one day to a round of frustrated shouts meeting each fall.
What is this? Why the excitement, why the crowd? I asked. A competition, said my friend: "it rocks!"
So with, against, and in front of the crowd, I climbed.
I climbed harder than ever, until my fingers could not grip and my arms could not pull
The gym had decided to hold
a tournament, a showcase of might. The wall was packed tight.

Climbing alone can be tight
climbing with friends, a delight. A fall
can frustrate, a hold
annoy. But these rocks,
form a puzzle, a 3D conundrum. One to be climbed
as solution; that is their pull.

Downwards, my feet push as upwards, my hands pull
against the wall, I press tight
And I climbed.
To not fall
from those plastic rocks
allows one a sense of achievement to hold.


Climbing means tight arms and frequent falls. But so too, to have climbed--on rocks or on plastic—is to have pushed, to have grown, to have answered the pull to challenge.
And now, the fake rocks are calling, and I must go.


No comments:

Post a Comment