Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Icarus and Daedalus

Daedalus was punished for being smart, so he and his son Icarus are imprisoned. They were put in a maze- to escape the maze, Daedalus uses feathers and  wax to make wings. Flying out seemed to be the best option. Daedalus was wildly inventive. He warned his son though, flying too high to the sun can cause the wings to melt and he will fall. Flying too low to the ocean, the wings will get wet and he will fall. Though he was warned, Icarus enjoys the flight so much that he flys to the sun and his wings melt and he falls. What a great example of risk?

Before I talk about risks in my life, I actually really enjoyed doing this allusions blog because I heard this story once before but twisted a bit. There is a children's play I saw earlier this year about a bird family. There is an inventor and his son who he keeps hidden from the world since he fears the outside. The inventor got in an accident when he was young and therefore can no longer fly and doesn't want his son to get in a similar accident. The risk of accident is crippling for the father. I realized soon after watching the show that it is based on a continuation of Daedalus and Icarus's story. Allusions are everywhere! I didn't realize that they were even related until after doing my blog!

Ok now back to risks in my life. I will talk about one example that was when I went mini-cliff diving. Once, my family went white-water rafting in Tennessee. While there, we had the opportunity to go cliff diving. My family didn't want to go but I did. So I climbed up to the rock and jumped! And it ended up being an amazing experience! I even went again! This is an example of a small risk in my life, one that hopefully represents other larger emotional risks, but when I read this story I first thought of this experience in my life when I was younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment