Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Wild Geese By Mary Oliver

Mary Oliver explores the family of things in her poem "Wild Geese." The tone is peaceful, hopeful, and comforting. For example, she says, "You only have to let the soft animal of your body do what it loves." It creates a nice flow that enriches a peaceful tone.
Her word choice and diction creates a positive connotation, especially in the words describing the environment and nature. All of the word choice is familiar, mirroring a casual and welcoming tone. It causes the reader to be relaxed and want to feel this ease with nature and family.
Oliver speaks figuratively in the whole poem because she is exploring family dynamics disguised with geese. While it explores a family of geese, it has a deeper meaning at large about any kind of family. The poem uses imagery to create a sensory experience through the nature. "The sun and the clear pebbles in the rain" make you feel like you are outside listening to this peaceful noise.
The style is unique because it is indented before "love what it loves." This has a powerful effect in causing this part to stand out to the reader. This line is especially import because she is saying not to worry about all the little things but just let it be and let yourself do what you do and love most. She speaks in an active voice the entire poem, most likely to suggest that this is occurring now and can still be changed. She wants the reader to act upon what he or she has read and make changes in his or her life.
The theme is that we overcomplicate life and get caught up in the details and unimportant matters, which hinders family relations and the inner peace that exists.
I relate to this poem because I am a very busy person with high expectations for myself. In order to be happy, accomplished, and doing what I think I should be doing, I think I need to take on an insane number of things and succeed at all of them. This poem helps me remember what is important and the peace that can be found in nature and family. I just need to do what I love, be with who I love, and be happy and content with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment