Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Midas and the Golden Touch

There once was a king named Midas who ruled over a land named Phrygia.  One day, some of the king's servants found a satyr wondering about the palace's vineyards, so they brought the intruder to Midas himself.  Upon seeing the satyr, Midas realized, "Crap, that's one of Dionysus's satyrs, Silenus.  We should probs let the satyr go cuz we're gonna be in trouble if we mess with him."  The satyr and Dionysus were super grateful, so the god of wine and drunk people was all, "Hey, Midas, I'll grant you one wish.  Make sure it's a good one, 'kay?"  Naturally, Midas makes the worst wish possible:  "Okay, Mr. D, I wish that everything I touch be turned to gold."  But the god knew that mortals were stupidheads, so he asked the king, "Are you suuuure?"  Midas said yes.  "But are you reeeeeeeeeeally sure?"  Yes, Midas was absolutely sure; he wanted this power.  So, the god granted the wish.  Midas ran back to his palace and started turning everything into gold:  fruit bowls, stools, silverware, his daughter, a blanket--wait, what?  The king didn't mean to turn his daughter into gold.  His "wish" started to get worse; he couldn't eat his food or drink water or use any utilities around the house.  It was horrible!  So, Midas was able to call Dionysus back to ask him to take away the wish.  The Big Guy let Midas wash away the magic touch in the river Pactolus, which was able to produce shiny deposits of gold thereafter.

I guess my version of Midas's gold would be... umm... I don't know, the internet?  Musicals?  Disney movies?  I don't think there's really anything that I'm truly addicted to, like Midas.  I guess if we're using the word "allure," I'd have to go with theatre.  The word "allure" implies that there's a weird draw towards whatever it your thing is.  (Wow.  I'm so sorry I cannot word anything today.)  There's a sort of magic that encircles a stage, a musical, a script.  It's not something I can easily describe.  It does draw you in, though.  You sort of can't help but be bewitched by it all, especially Broadway because it's so glamorous.  I saw my first Broadway show this past summer, and I was completely transfixed with it all.  Like, I said, hard to describe, but there you have it.

Here's lil' ol' me at my first Broadway show! (If you haven't checked out Once, I highly recommend it!)

Oh and here I am with ARTHUR DARVILL EEEEEEEEEPP

No comments:

Post a Comment