Tuesday, February 25, 2014

School at Home

"Marks" by Linda Pastan

Although I really haven't really been in a situation that wants me to "mark" my parents on how they are doing, I feel that this is what school is. Not the learning but the overachieving, the best presentation. Each student is like a different presentation to everyone. To students, I might be funny or annoying. To teachers I might be a great student showing outside interest or a student just trying to finish senior year. To my parents I might be a great child who is trying hard and achieving everything that I want or a student who is not doing enough and not concentrating enough on school. Who knows but the people who are being presented to. But in this poem the mom/wife feels the pressure of being average and not as good, not living up to expectations. I know many people who feel that way both in school and at home. It affects their decisions and their attitude towards important and non important dealings in life.

DIDLS

Diction- in this poem the average wording and the negatively associated word choice both add to the feeling of disappointment and the feeling of failure. "an incomplete for my ironing, / a B plus in bed" is just one example of the negative diction and the lacking special feeling.

Imagery- there isn't much adjectival imagery in this poem. It is more of a mental comparison to the reader's experience with failure and their average feeling. "My daughter believes in Pass/Fail and tells me / I pass..." is comparing the daughters feelings with the reader's idea of school and passing or failing a test.

Details- the narrator addresses each member of her family as she is describing her feelings towards her supposed averageness. From her husband and son to her daughter and even herself eventually giving the almost defiant response of "I'm dropping out" addressing her ideas of her expectations as a mom and a wife.

Language- as I discussed above in Diction, the narrator uses negative words and connections to create the downtrodden disappointed tone in this poem. "My son says I am average, / an average mother..." suggesting a self disappointed mood from the narrator.

Syntax- the syntax in this poem is 4 sentences addressing each opinion of the narrator individually. By writing that the children have hope for their mom by saying "but if, / I put my mind to it / I could improve" it adds to the children's usually positive points of views, where as the narrator doesn't want to be just average, but at the end the poem suggests that she will not become better.



http://annawrites.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/stick-family.jpg

http://unmgrc.unm.edu/conference/2014-conference/images/oral-presentation.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment