Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Joseph and the Coat

Joseph, the second youngest of his siblings, is a son of Jacob and frankly Joseph is Jacobs’s favorite son. Jacob gives Joseph this fancy coat.
Joseph has a dream of his brothers bowing down at his feet and goes and tells his brothers about his dream. (Really?) Having been given a fancy coat and now these dreams makes for some jealous brothers.
Joseph has a second dream very much like the whole brothers bowing down to him but this time he tells everyone about it- not just his brothers.
His brothers are with their fathers sheep at Shechem. Israel sends Joseph to meet up with them and then report back. His brothers see him coming and start talking and planning to kill him. They came up with this:
1)    Kill him-put him in a pit-blame it on a wild animal
2)    Put him in a pit-not dead
He gets to his brothers and they steal his big fancy coat off and throw him in a pit.
Later, his brothers were eating when a group of Ishmaelite men who are traveling from Gilead to Egypt come by. One of the brothers, Judah, suggests selling Joseph to the men so they don’t really kill him and get paid $$.
Joseph gets sold to the Ishmaelite men for twenty pieces of silver. The men take him to Egypt and then sell him to the Pharaoh’s court.
Meanwhile the brothers take the coat, dip it into a dead goat’s blood and present it to their father saying Joseph is dead.
“Joseph was Israel's favorite son. He had dreams and his brothers were jealous so they sold him. He was bought by Potiphar in Egypt.”- http://www.biblesummary.info/genesis/37
My best loved garment is my Blankie. It’s a blanket that was handmade here in Berea Kentucky. When we were born the hospital gave each of us two identical blankets. (three separate sets of twin blankets) I have my original blankie that has been by my side since literally the day I was born. He is extremely worn and the edges are slowly separating from the actual blanket. When I was about 8 or 9 I noticed how much I was wearing it out so I went into the hall closet and took one of my brother’s blankets. They didn’t touch them at all and were still in perfect condition. I now have two blankies but one of them doesn’t travel outside of my room. I won’t even let my mom clean him, I’m sure it would just turn into string… I’m as attached to the second as the first even though it is ‘older’ than me and wasn’t originally mine. I sleep with my blanket every night, even at sleepovers and at camp. My oldest brother and I have blankets- his is more of a cloth while mine was woven- and our favorite thing to do is smell our blankets. But what I also do, which is what reduces the lifespan of my blankets, is run the strings under my nails. As a kid I did that very often and that’s why I had to start over with a new blanket at the young age of 8. I will never be without my Blankie.

1 comment: