Sunday, February 9, 2014

In Which Anna Gives You Another Giant List Of Great Songs Sorry

Okay.
So I'm sorry in advance.
It took me forever to pick which song I wanted to analyze.  I narrowed it down to three songs, two of which had tons of imagery and metaphors to talk about and analyze, but what do I do?  I pick the stupid third one.  I'm sorry.  It just seemed right?  I guess?  I don't know, I just really feel like it's the one I should be analyzing because there's a great plot twist in it and eeeeep I love it.  Okay, here goes:

"Proud" by The Icarus Account
Listen here:


Disclaimer:  I added punctuation where I thought it would go, but since this is a song, I don't know the artists' original intentions for punctuation.

Lyrics:
It's been three weeks since I saw you,
Since I said goodbye to
Everything I knew.
I thought that day would never come.
Well, I guess that I was wrong, 'cause
It's already gone.

I miss the smiles. I miss the laughs.
Sometimes I wish that things could just go back
To the way they used to be
When you were with me.

Take me back to all those times
That we knew back before,
When we were running, we were playing,
And we still knew nothing more.
The innocence we had could never last forever.
And daddy look at what I learned to play today.
Do you think that I'll be famous one day?
When you see me now, I hope I make you proud.

So I'll spread these wings and try to fly,
And if I fail at least you know I tried.
I hope that I make you proud,
Even if I fall.

It's time to say goodbye; it's now or never.
No, I can't stay here. Nothing lasts forever.
I loved you then. I still love you now.
And I know nothing ever changed it.
No, not then, not now.

And life can change so suddenly,
So thanks for taking care of me.
I hope that I make you proud.
I hope that I make you proud.
I hope that I make you proud.

Yay!  What did you think?  Did you like the plot twist?  Not a song about a girl/guy for once, but about a dad!  Woo!
Anyway, analyzing time.  First off, I don't exactly know what type of rhyme scheme this has, since it flows in and out of rhyming.  So it's sort of free verse with a few rhymes here and there?  Which makes sense because the artist feels lost and nostalgic; of course it's not going to rhyme because rhymes make sense, and right now, this guy's life does not make sense.  He's lost and sad and eventually resigned.  The imagery in this song is minimal, used mostly in single words, like "smiles," and "laughs."  The artist only uses the imagery during the parts of his life that he wants to remember, wants to picture.  He wants to picture the past more than the present or the future.  The diction and syntax are very conversational, like the artist is trying to speak directly to his father.  He reminisces over past talks with his dad--" Do you think that I'll be famous one day?"--and tells him his hopes for the present--"I hope that I make you proud."  The whole song sounds like a conversation.  (Okay, I know allusions are supposed to go here, but there aren't any in the song.  So, thought I'd point out the band's name:  The Icarus Account.  It's an allusion to the story of Icarus.  Check it out!)  Finally, the figurative language is used, like the other devices, sparingly.  When he does use it, it brings emphasis to that part.  For instance, the line, "So I'll spread these wings and try to fly," stands out from the rest of the poem because of its cliched nature.  He compares himself to a bird, or another object that can fly, with this metaphor.  Most people can relate to wanting to "spread their wings" and "fly," through their lives, just as this artist wants to.  He wants to make his father proud.  Awwww.
Sorry that was a bit scatter-brained, but it's hard to analyze a song that you like because all you want to say is, "OH GOD THESE FEELS THIS GUY JUST WANTS HIS FATHER TO BE PROUD OF HIM PLEASE SOMEONE SAVE ME I'M CRYING THIS IS THE MOST TOUCHING THING EVER," when all you can say is, "The literary device is used to convey a tone of blah blah blah."  And yeah.  Basically, I just have a lot of feelings about this song.  It's my go-to sad song.

Alrighty, so you're probably thinking, "Yay, Anna's done blabbering!"  Well, you would be WRONG WRONG VERY WRONG.  I am, obviously, going to provide you a list of great relationship songs, whether they're romantic or platonic or family (familial?).  Here you go:
1.  "Bruised" by Jack's Mannequin
2.  "When We First Met" by Hellogoodbye
3.  "For Good" from "Wicked"
4.  "Gold" from "Once"
5.  "You'll Always Be My Best Friend" by Relient K
6.  "The Special Two" by Missy Higgins
7.  "What I Wouldn't Do" by A Fine Frenzy
8.  "Something Good Can Work" by Two Door Cinema Club
9.  "Anything For You" by Ludo
10.  "What I Know" by Parachute
Okay, I'll leave it at ten songs.  I think that's plenty for you guys to sit and think on.  If anyone's reading this, anyway.  Heh.  (By the way, the first two songs are the ones with great metaphors that I was debating between earlier.)  Anyway, hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment