Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day!

Valentine's Day is on Friday. Much to my chagrin, I have no main squeeze. For this reason, my song pick today is about the darker side of relationships because I just cannot deal with mushy love songs today. No. So I have selected possibly the most gruesome song possible for the occasion.
"Howl" by Florence+The Machine
If you could only see the beast you've made of me
I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart
drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl
My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to

Howl, howl
Howl, howl

Now there's no holding back, I'm making to attack
My blood is singing with your voice, I want to pour it out
The saints can't help me now, the ropes have been unbound
I hunt for you with bloody feet across the hallow'd ground

like some child possessed, the beast howls in my veins
I want to find you tear out all your tenderness

And howl, howl
Howl, howl

Be careful of the curse that falls on young lovers
Starts so soft and sweet and turns them to hunters
Hunters, hunters, hunters
Hunters, hunters, hunters

The fabric of your flesh, pure as a wedding dress
Until I wrap myself inside your arms I cannot rest
The saints can't help me now, the ropes have been unbound
I hunt for you with bloodied feet across the hallow'd ground

And howl

Be careful of the curse that falls on young lovers
Starts so soft and sweet and turns them to hunters
A man who's pure of heart and says his prayers by night
May still become a wolf when the autumn moon is bright

If you could only see the beast you've made of me
I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
The saints can't help me now, the ropes have been unbound
I hunt for you with bloody feet across the hallow'd ground

I apologize for that block of text but I felt that the lyrics were important.

Mighty Florence jumps straight to the chase with this one. She was in a relationship with this guys and it appears that they are no longer together. There breaking up has left deep emotional damage, as she has become a "beast." The entirety of the song in an extended metaphor for the speaker being a ferocious beast hunting its prey (her lover). She continues with her hunt, expressing her desire to "claw" his skin as she howls at the moon. Fun.
In the next verse she personifies her blood, saying that it is singing with her lover's voice. That is to say, her blood, her life force, is speaking in the voice of her lover. He has infiltrated her being so deeply that now the very thing that keeps her alive echoes the voice of her lost love. She says "the saints can't help me now/ the ropes have been unbound" She is hopeless. As she destroys the very thing she loves, she is also destroying herself, and there is nothing that can stop her.

Next she moves into warning young lovers that while love feels great at first, it will soon consume their soul and transform them into beasts.

While being an extended metaphor, the poem also doubles as an extended allusion, if that's a thing, to werewolves. The moon. Howling. The Beast.

One of my favorite things about Florence and the Machine is that I never know what the hell the songs are about. Obviously she feels very passionately about this guy, but that's about it. She is hunting for him for no other reason than that she is in love with him. There does not seem to be any explanation as to why she wants to tear into his flesh and drain his blood. Love makes one do crazy things. She even says that she wants to tear out all of his tenderness. He isn't a cold hearted bastard who betrayed her. (lucky her. it ain't fun.) He made her love him and now she is going to kill him for it. This song serves as a "Beware All Who Enter" sign for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment