Monday, February 17, 2014

Love poems- chapter 7


Love poems are exchanged at this time of year by many couples. The general love poem sounds like this: “Your eyes are as beautiful as the sky, your lips as red as a rose. When you hug me I feel alive, when you kiss me I feel butterflies. I love you.” However, neither “Love is not all” nor “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun” take this awestruck approach. “Love is not all” talks about how love is not a necessity to live like food and water. However, in Millay’s opinion while love is not necessary, she would not trade the love she receives for anything. Shakespeare takes a different approach to love in “My misteress’ eyes are nothing like the sun” He compares his mistress to everything one would not. For example, her hair is like black wires, her lips are not red like roses and her cheeks are not as red as roses. However, dispite her imperfections the author loves his mistress. He loves to hear her speak and believes that his love is rare.
In “Love is not all,” the author is stating how love is needed but she will not turn it away. “My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun” focuses on the negatives of his mistress even though he continues to love her. Both are taking a relatively similar start and ending. Both start off negative and end with I will not turn love away or I still love her. Neither poem really hits on my own view of love. If I am to love someone, I hope I find them attractive. If I am to love someone, I hope I find their love to be a necessity. I would probably say that I am more of the lovey dovey peom person. I would prefer both my loved one and I admire and adore each other to be like the stereotypical “Roses are red, Violets are blue” type of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment