Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Snoetry Blog

The Quiet Life by Alexander Pope at first confused me a little, mostly because of the structure and syntax that was hard for me to comprehend by just reading it. So I googled a reading to listen to, and I loved it. 


The poem suggests that a person’s identity is found in what he choses to invest the majority of his time in. In this case, the home of the man spoken about in the poem. Support for this can be found in the line first stanza “Content to breathe his native air 
In his own ground.”  The poem also indicates that a routine that consists of a good deal of doing the same thing for a long time helps to solidify a persons identity. This  can be seen in the third stanza: “Blest who can unconcern'dly find 
Hours, days, and years slide soft away” But by far my favorite topic the poem deals with is one of the culture realm. The poem seems to say that what is right and satisfying is to go against the norm of dying a person that people care about, but rather dying a person who loved his own life, even if he was completely unknown. Evidence is found in the last stanza  “Thus let me live, unseen, unknown; 
Thus unlamented let me die; 
Steal from the world, and not a stone 
Tell where I lie.”


The contemporary poem I chose is Identity Card. I chose this poem beacause of the passion with which the poem exclaims “I am an Arab” and demonstrates that he is extremely passionate about what he is writing. Contrasted to the previous poem: Identity Card deals with a cultural issue that we are all aware of, while the first poem requires deeper thought and examination of why the poet thinks the culture previously talked about is wrong.

1 comment:

  1. The poems have an interesting similarity--both celebrate a connection with one's own land.

    ReplyDelete