Monday, January 20, 2014

Luke 1-2 (The Birth of Jesus) and my best birthday

One thing that took me awhile to figure out when I read the New Testament as a younger kid in church was that the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John didn't necessarily flow chronologically all of the time like most other stories. So the stories that one reads in Luke are a different combination then what one would read in Matthew, Mark, or John. Anyway, the story in Luke 1-2 is not solely about the birth of Jesus, but also the birth of John the Baptist, which comes right before it in the excerpt. The link here is that Elizabeth, John the Baptist's Mother, was related to Mary, the mother of Jesus. Once Elizabeth was six months pregnant, the angel Gabriel came down to Mary and told her that she was to give birth to the Son of God (kind of a big deal), and that she was to name him Jesus. So once John the Baptist was born, it was soon time for Mary and Joseph to travel to Bethlehem, the town of David, whose line Joseph belonged to. They were denied a place in the inn and were forced to stay in a manger overnight. This is where Mary gave birth to the Son of God, and all the angels rejoiced and returned to heaven.

My best birthday probably came this past year. I went to the Commonwealth Honors Academy in June and met two of my now best friends (they live in St. Louis) who originally immigrated to the United States from Bosnia-Herzegovina. They're former Missouri State Champions in Soccer and are absolutely crazy about the sport. They wanted me to come to St. Louis the weekend before school so we could go to the Real Madrid game at the Edward Jones Dome. Thankfully, my birthday (which usually falls the first week we come back from summer break, which sucks because literally no one remembers since everybody's caught in the back to school hoopla), was that same week. So for my birthday present, they paid for me to go hang out with my bros Irhad and Mirhad (confusing eh?) in St. Louis and go to the game. It was nothing short of awesome and we even got to see 2013 Ballon d'or Winner Cristiano Ronaldo score, which was even more awesome.

This is the view of the stadium. Me and my bros were up in the second deck on the far side. Real Madrid 3-0 Inter Milan. Best. Birthday. Ever.

http://dannyreise.zenfolio.com/p894746893/h6491FA28#h6491fa28

No comments:

Post a Comment