Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Poetry Blog #1


“The Apology” by Ralph Waldo Emerson has a message of knowing when to apologize for things, and that sometimes it’s all right to not apologize for certain things, and it’s all right to be individual. He begins the poem outright with “Think me not unkind and rude, / That I walk alone in grove and glen;” where the narrator is almost apologizing before doing something. Again, he asks for something like forgiveness in the beginning of the third stanza, saying “Chide me not, laborious band…” Emerson’s beginning of his second stanza with “Tax not my sloth that I / Fold my arms beside the brook;” seem to have something to do with being individual and doing something “nonconformist,” per se. Emily Dickinson’s “I’m Nobody! Who are you?” focuses on the feeling of otherness and being on the outside. Dickinson proclaims “How dreary – to be – Somebody!,” meaning it would be awfully boring to conform and be a part of the crowd. Her blatant excitement to being a “Nobody!” illustrates the message of individuality, similar to Emerson’s message of individuality. Both poems stress the comfort and acceptability of being individual and different. Dickinson’s poem focuses more on one’s whole being going against the norm, while Emerson’s centers on the quirks and things one does that makes him or her different. I connect with both because I believe it to be important to be individual and to not feel the pressure to conform. 

1 comment:

  1. Emerson doesn't want to be seen as a slacker. He asserts that there is value in the act of finding value in the natural world!

    ReplyDelete